Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Go Big or Go 30:04

I'm taking it pretty easy training-wise this week because of my race coming up on Saturday, so there's probably not going to be much of note about my runs this week. If all goes according to plan, they should be pretty simple and problem-free run and include nothing at all interesting to read or write about. Stay tuned if that changes. I have, however, been thinking a lot of strategy the last couple of days. Here's what I've come up with:

GO BIG OR GO HOME: 10K DOMINATION PLAN

Saturday is the Rodes City Run 10K here in Louisville. It's the second leg of the city's Triple Crown of Running, coming two weeks after the Anthem 5K and two weeks before the Papa John's 10-miler. A couple weeks ago for the 5k, before I started this blog, I had a goal of finishing under 30 minutes. My original goal was to beat my first 5k time from the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure last October which was 30:52. That goal changed because I thought I was selling myself short. I was running this race about 15 lbs lighter than I was running in October. I had been training consistently and really felt like I had hit my stride, which I was not doing in October. I knew I could do under 30 minutes.

I approached the race pretty gingerly. The first mile was fairly slow due to a combination of the early race start line traffic and my efforts to hold myself back in fear that I may burn out early. Once I got to mile two, I realized how long I had taken to get there and I started to push it a little more. I was still holding back a bit because I have this little voice in the back of my head that tells me that I'm going to burn out. I can't seem to shut it up sometimes. I was looking at my watch the entire time, knowing how close I was to my goal time. Mile three I pushed it a little harder, but I knew up until probably the last two tenths of a mile, that I was still holding back a little bit. I crossed the finish line at 30:04. I felt like a complete failure.

I don't like not reaching a goal I set for myself. I know it's not a bad time, and it is a better time than I gave in October. What upsets me the most is that I know that I could have gone harder and I didn't. I crossed the finish line and I wasn't tired. I wasn't winded. I didn't feel like I had run a race, let alone my race. That's why that time upsets me.

I blame this on the mentality I've had to adopt for marathon training. Upping weekly mileage and a new idea of pacing to avoid injury has given me this fear of pushing and being bold. I didn't have that fear six months ago. I never felt any pressure to hold myself back. True, I had no real strategy or plan to my running, but I felt like I had run my race. I crossed the finish feeling like I poured all my energy into it and that I had put forth a solid effort. I didn't feel that way at all a during the Anthen 5K.

So on Saturday, it's "go big or go home" time. I am taking it easier this week for training, and on Saturday, I am leaving any pressure to hold back on the pavement of the City of Louisville. My time is goal is under an hour. My main goal is to cross that finish line with no regrets, knowing that I ran every step with the power of which I know I am capable.

NEW HEADPHONES

I didn't run in silence yesterday. Sorry, I couldn't suck it up. I used my earbuds that still have one working ear. Maybe one day I'll be a silent runner, but for right now, I have other goals. We'll think about it after marathon season.

But I got my Yurbuds! Just did a short three-mile off day run and took the dog for a walk. For the first few minutes, I was convinced that they were going to fall out of my ears, but I have no idea why because they never moved the entire time. Good sound, too. So far, I think they are fantastic. Thank you, Dan, for the suggestion! It's supposed to rain pretty hard for two days starting tomorrow, so in the morning, I'll test out their performance in the rain. If they go out, I might have to go to silent running forever.

SOMETHING I'M WORKING ON

I recently received a request from an old friend who's trying to get back into running and lose some weight at the same time. I'm currently working on a nutrition post about fueling up to have enough energy for runs, but still keeping calories low enough to reach weight loss goals. This is one of my favorite topics, and one that I am still trying to master. I'm working on it, so stay tuned. Should be up by the end of the week!



I have received some amazing feedback from readers of this blog. Thank you for reading and being so kind to share your positivity! If you have any questions or anything you'd like me to talk about, let me know. If I can answer it, I'd love to address it. Keep it together with your goals, whether or not they be running-based.

A small tidbit about working toward your goals--last night during my usual 90-minute elliptical workout, three coworkers came into my gym. That never happens. Biggest Loser competitions mean something! I'm going to bug them to keep it up!

1 comment:

  1. 5k’s are tough. They hurt. The pacing is difficult until you have done quite a few. You have to go pretty hard from the first mile because the race is so short there is not enough distance to make up the time.

    On the other hand, you can’t go so hard that you blow up. It is a fine line. Most of the time I just go out really hard and ‘try’ to hold my pace as long as possible.

    Good luck.

    Keep it up with the co-workers. You just do your thing. Some will come along and some won't.

    ReplyDelete